Have you ever tried cutting your Yorkie's hair? - Yorkie Forum : Yorkshire Terrier Forums

YorkieForum.com is the premier Yorkshire Terrier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Have you ever tried cutting your Yorkie's hair?

My hubby suggested we give it a try. I'm not sure if he was joking.
babysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

LOL... I came close to doing this. Thank God rationale came to my mind.
dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

I wouldn't dare to. My hands are shaky. What if I cut something else by accident? I wouldn't be able to live with myself.
estelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have and um, let's just say I tried it once and once only.
kdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Cutting the hair with scissors or shaving the dog short? Shaving is actually quite easy, the clippers and blades can be bought online at Petedge.com (a lot cheaper than at Petsmart/Petco) and tutorials can be found on youtube or you might find a grooming book at the library. Within 3-4 grooms they would have paid for themselves. With the clipper you can't nick or cut the dog going over the back/sides/down the legs/etc. The tricky part is the feet/rear/face, as these normally require sissoring work. Though I have heard of owners shaving the body, bathing and blow drying the dog, and then taking it to the groomers for the sissoring. Apparently it can get you a discount :P
Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Cutting the hair with scissors or shaving the dog short? Shaving is actually quite easy, the clippers and blades can be bought online at Petedge.com (a lot cheaper than at Petsmart/Petco) and tutorials can be found on youtube or you might find a grooming book at the library. Within 3-4 grooms they would have paid for themselves. With the clipper you can't nick or cut the dog going over the back/sides/down the legs/etc. The tricky part is the feet/rear/face, as these normally require sissoring work. Though I have heard of owners shaving the body, bathing and blow drying the dog, and then taking it to the groomers for the sissoring. Apparently it can get you a discount :P
You sound like you have done this many times. Thanks for the great info. I wouldn't use scissors either. Shaving is the way to go if you want to do a home job.
Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default Re:

I learned from my sister who is a groomer, though the scissoring was the hardest part to master. It takes a lot of practice before it looks cute :P
Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Leave it to those who have trained to style dogs properly. It's a crying shame when an owner decides to butcher their own dogs hair. It's all about technique and the right tools and equipment i.e scissors and blade size. You do need to have a steady hand and the ability to secure/control dog when using scissors and blades. You also need to know how to prep your dog first by bathing and blow drying correctly. The bible for dog groomers is called Notes from the Grooming Table by Melissa Verplank CMG.
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

I never tried to cut my yorkie's hair and I will never try it. I'll just leave it to those who have great knowledge and experience on this area. Besides, I don't know if I can ever forgive myself if I ever hurt my dog with the scissors. I admit I am clumsy and my dog is really active. So it's not a good idea for me to do the hair cutting part.
allaboutourdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am the only one that can cut Snoopy's hair. Groomers hate him because as a pup we just cut it ourselves (yes I know...our fault) but he bites BAD if someone else comes near him with scissors.

He gets his legs cut short (about 1/2 and inch) body longer (about 2-3 inches) and face about 1-2 inches with over the eyes cut short and ears cut super short. I can't even imagine keeping him long because he's such an active dude and loves running through the brush. We had one incident with burrs and lets just say I had to pull out my dad's shaver.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement