Angry/frustrated with Vet - Yorkie Forum : Yorkshire Terrier Forums

YorkieForum.com is the premier Yorkshire Terrier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Angry/frustrated with Vet

Need to vent about my Vet. My 13 year old yorkie (Wiggles) has hair loss, increased appetite (to the point of barking at me for food or trying to get me up at 5 am to eat), weight gain (eating same amount of food as always), increased thirst and urination. She is not lethargic and does not seem to be sick. Vet did blood test and urinalysis. AST, Alk, GGT, Magnesium, Cholesterol, Triglycerides high. Creatine, Glucose, Chloride low. Urinalysis - Specific gravity low and Protein, occult blood high. I keep calling to talk to vet but she just has receptionist tell me that we should do ultra-sound to check the liver. I am, of course concerned about her liver as she had a benign growth removed from her liver six years ago but the Vet does not even take the time to discuss all of the other issues. Even if Wiggles has a liver problem, at her age I would not do surgery again (she had a very difficult recovery the first time) so I am more concerned at this point in time getting to the bottom of the other symptoms that are not consistent with liver problems - hair loss, increased appetite and weight gain. I will eventually go to a different Vet, but after already spending $387, I will have to wait until I have the money to start all over again with a new Vet. Sorry to go on and on but I just need to get this off my chest - I already feel better. Thank you for taking the time to listen.
yorkiekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you do go to another vet you have every right to have the current test results sent to the new doctor. You should not have to have a whole new set of tests done. Have you asked your current vet to have a consultation with you to discuss the test results? Sometimes trying to discuss things through a receptionist can lose a lot in the translation. She may not be conveying your thoughts and requests to the vet clearly. Ask the receptionist to have the vet call you at her convenience so you can talk to her directly. You need to be on the same page with this vet and make a plan for your pets best care. There certainly have been a lot of tests done and she should be able to deal with some of the symptoms right away.
Ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you very much for your reply. I did request a call from the vet and received one last night - unfortunately I was not available to take the call. Your suggestion about a consultation is a good idea. Again, thanks for your input.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

While it is imperative that you have a vet confirm the diagnosis, what you describe with your yorkie's clinical signs, lab tests and history point strongly towards a diagnosis of hyperadrenocorticism. This condition is completely manageable if diagnosed correctly but requires an additional blood test to confirm the diagnosis. If your yorkie has this condition, there is a medication that she would have to take for the rest of her life and she would require regular monitoring. Your vet should be able to discuss this with you in more detail.
Kupkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you very much. I have an appointment and I will discuss this with my vet. I appreciate the information.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

You were right - my dog has been diagnosed with Cushings. ACTH Stimulation/Response Test was positive. Thanks again for your suggestion.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

For those that are thinking about alternative vets, please take a look at this site. HomeVet | Dr Jeff Feinman | integrative vet practice | homeopathic vet Weston Connecticut. This is my homeopathic vet. He is excellent! Has helped my yorkie and Maltese. This is a much healthier way to treat our pets. I lost my bichon at 6 yrs old to kidney disease. I was devastated. I started searching for a better way than conventional meds. I am pleased how well they respond to treatment. BTW, he is in CT and I am in FL. We have phone consults and communicate through emails.
Mary J
Mary J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupkee View Post
While it is imperative that you have a vet confirm the diagnosis, what you describe with your yorkie's clinical signs, lab tests and history point strongly towards a diagnosis of hyperadrenocorticism. This condition is completely manageable if diagnosed correctly but requires an additional blood test to confirm the diagnosis. If your yorkie has this condition, there is a medication that she would have to take for the rest of her life and she would require regular monitoring. Your vet should be able to discuss this with you in more detail.
Thank you very much.
tentionfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement