Hypoglycemia - Yorkie Forum : Yorkshire Terrier Forums

YorkieForum.com is the premier Yorkshire Terrier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hypoglycemia

My 4 year old yorkie (7lbs) has recently become hypoglycemic. She crashed on night and we had to rush her to the vet her blood sugar was 51 and her heart beat was weak, irregular and very slow. She crashed again about a week later and we were able to bring her sugar back up by giving her molasses. Our vet thinks that she has become a picky eater. My yorkie has never been a picky eater buy since this happened she is very selective. I've tried numerous bags of dry food and now I'm feeding her natural choice canned food with some innova dry mixed in. We had her on a schedule of molasses every 12 hours for 10 days and she never had an attack so my vet thinks she is just being picky. I don't understand why she has just recently become picky...or why she just now had an attack and she didn't when she was a puppy. Also, ever since this happened she just doesn't act like herself. Any ideas, suggestions, or personal experiences?

THANKS!!!
Bluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi, I'm new here and experienced something similar when my yorkie was a puppy. At 10 weeks old she was just under a pound. She had a crash within two days of bringing her home and i gave her corn syrup (on the advise of my vet) a few weeks later she had another crash- i woke up at 1am and found her unresponsive on the floor. I gave her several syringes of corn syrup and stayed up all night force feeding her baby food every hour. After that i kept her on a very strict feeding schedule every four waking hours. After a few weeks, she was down to 3 meals a day and now happily at 9 months she is taking 2 meals a day. My breeder suggested putting Dyne in her water bowl- it is a high fat and high sugar liquid substance that she uses for her very small dogs. My vet wasn't too keen on it so I chose the other route of feeding her more often, but perhaps this may help your yorkie.
Fifi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement