Stomach/Gastric/Spinal Problem - Unsure - Yorkie Forum : Yorkshire Terrier Forums

YorkieForum.com is the premier Yorkshire Terrier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stomach/Gastric/Spinal Problem - Unsure

Hi to all,

I currently owned a 4 yr old Yorkie (Kai) and somehow he would have some episodes of pain and shoulder spasms that would go away. The vet had told me it could be stomach or spinal problem as he exhibited arched back when in pain. He treated it as a stomach problem as I shared my dog felt pain only after eating.

Yesterday, his groomer had feedback his hind legs are a little stiff. Now that his fur is shorter, I observed it too. Some other observations I have include:

1) When he was having those episodes of pain, he could still stand on his hinds and reach for my chair I was sitting - if the pain is from the spinal region, surely this is not possible?

2) My dog has been walking shorter distances since a year ago. I am unsure if this is an indication of some degradation in his spinal region, he has become bored of the same route, or that he has been accustomed to my father's way of walking (sitting and resting more).

3) My dog had pancreatitis (accompanied by liver issues) 1 or 2 years ago. Subsequently, he experienced episodes of discomfort with arched back and heavy panting. An x-ray was taken at his spine and they saw whitish spot somewhere at the spinal region, which was eventually inconclusive without further tests. Both the vet and I agreed to treat it as a stomach problem first and observe further. There was no such episodes any more (energy level is up, no stiffness in movement, hearty appetite) in months that followed until now.

I would appreciate any sharing from owners who have had (or are having) furkids with spinal problem, especially if your furkids had (have) stiffness in hind legs. What kind of home remedies can I prepare to alleviate any kind of stress on his spinal region and help reduce stiffness in hind legs?

Cordially,
RX
rxbuoyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement