Liver shunt Help Needed - Yorkie Forum : Yorkshire Terrier Forums

YorkieForum.com is the premier Yorkshire Terrier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Liver shunt Help Needed

Last week I rescued a 2 1/2 lb 18 month old yorkie from a breeder that was looking to dump her. She is suspected of having a liver shunt and has been on meds for that despite the fact testing was never done. My vet has done tests and he also suspects a liver shunt. She is going for an ultrasound tomorrow. I'm really torn between having the surgery or just keeping her on meds. Although she is tiny little thing she doesn't show any outward signs of being ill. I'm concerned about putting such a little girl through surgery. Do any of you fine yorkie owners have any experience with liver shunt? If so I could really use your help.
Flakes49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

my yorkie had a liver shunt. it was discovered when he was 1 year old. he was starting to get aggressive and bite people for just moving. he had the operation , i was given all the odds and he lived another 17 years. i would not keep a dog on meds for the rest of thier lives, there is always a consequence to taking meds. i would also inform the akc or ckc depending on where you live that this breeder has a line with this issue. maybe they won't care maybe they take notes.. who knows. but i would certainly get the info out there on dog blogs about avoiding this breeder.
cherryblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement