Toy obsession - Yorkie Forum : Yorkshire Terrier Forums

YorkieForum.com is the premier Yorkshire Terrier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Toy obsession

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. I have a 3-year-old Yorkie named Danica. She is 4-1/2 pounds and shares the household with a 3-year-old Pom. We got them from the same breeder, and they were in the same playpen when we got them at 8 weeks (the Yorkie) and 11 weeks (the Pom). They are as different as night and day. I've owned a Pom before and never intended on getting a Yorkie, but when we went to get the Pom, there the little Yorkie was, and my husband fell in love with her.

Raising a Yorkie has had its challenges, but there are many rewards, as I'm sure all of you know. Yorkies make life interesting!

Anyway, I'm dealing with a problem right now with my Yorkie. She has all of a sudden at 3 years old starting obsessing with stuffed squeaky toys or any stuffed toy, really. She will play with it non-stop and basically "attack" it until she tears it to shreds. It takes her a while, but she will dissemble it eventually and remove the squeaker. She goes at it so hard that she is breathless, and nothing seems to distract her. If I take the toy from her and replace it with another, she will start the same thing again with the new toy, although she prefers the one she has had before. It's not that she is obsessed with any one particular toy, just any stuffed toy. She is not aggressive at any other time or to other dogs or to any humans. She only exhibits this behavior with the stuffed toys. She shows no interest in balls or other toys, only the stuffed toys. She has spent the last 2 days walking around and looking for the toy I hid from her, sniffing and driving us crazy with her barking. She knows where the toy was and goes and sits and barks at that cabinet.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Should I just wait it out and hope she forgets it? I don't think it's healthy to let her go at these toys like this. Thanks for any tips. Attached is a picture of little Danica.
Attached Thumbnails
Toy obsession-179886_1679353195641_1591885698_31503363_8136738_n.jpg  
glitelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement