Stubborn pup with potty training - Yorkie Forum : Yorkshire Terrier Forums

YorkieForum.com is the premier Yorkshire Terrier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stubborn pup with potty training

Help! My six month yorkie, Bo, is having trouble with potty training. For the most part, he is very good about peeing outside. Only minor issue there is that we have to encourage him and say "Go potty" two or three different times for him to get it all out it seems like. But what is frustrating is his refusal to poop outside. I know his poop schedule. For example, I know he has to poop first thing in the morning. When we first got him, he pooped within five minutes of waking up. Now, knowing he has to go in the morning, I will stay outside with him for literally 45 minutes to an hour, he will not go poop (but will pee 3-4 times), and will come right in and poop within five to ten minutes. It's almost like he holds it in for the inside of the house. I've tried a few different methods, but have mainly been placing the poop in the yard to show him that is where it belongs. Lately, when he poops in the house, he knows it is wrong and hides somewhere. I'm at a loss at how to handle this, but we really want to nip this problem before it becomes an even bigger habit for him. Any suggestions are appreciated!!
SMaddux922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would like to know this too. Sophie is 5 months and does almost the same thing. She does good for a few days and then will poop in the house. She also hides because she knows she is supposed to go outside.
andreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

My sophie is 15 weeks and we experienced all the same issues.Yesterday and today she has been asking to go out. I'm so excited! I hope this continues. Everyone I talk to that has a mature Yorkie keep telling me to just keep being consistent and patient.
sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

my sweetcheeks does what she wants depending on the day i think, she has stopped doing anything in the night but the minute i open the bedroom door she walk over the pad then some newspaper and does it on the carpet, she only does it outside if she desperate at the time, she just seems to do it when she wants and that includes when she is asleep on the couch??? she is small and drinks alot but the amount of time she pees and the size of it is getting abit worrying, is this normal for a bitch, she is nearly 5mths old.
sweetcheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would have her checked for a urinary tract infection. Thats what mine had....
kimp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement