Fruits and veggies - Yorkie Forum : Yorkshire Terrier Forums

YorkieForum.com is the premier Yorkshire Terrier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fruits and veggies

Does anyone feed their yorkie fruits/veggies? My friend suggested this because she does this with her dog (a golden retriever). What do you gals think?
babysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Check with your vet, but I would think that's a really bad idea. Never mind if its a Yorkie or a retriever. The acid in most fruits would be bad for their teeth, for sure. Plus, the dog probably gets enough veggies from your kids at the dinner table.
Microcosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have heard that certain fruits and vegies are bad and can even be a mild poison. My Yorkie has such a sensitive digestive system its hard when it comes to sharing.
Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

My yorkie eats it all. I guess because the kids and I spoiled her with treats from a young age. My advice would be if you haven't been doing it from when they are a pup, I wouldn't start now.
DogsBestFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

This is a good point though as my vet says the food we eat is for us not for them. so I guess sharing is not always caring when it comes to our animals.
Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

I try to give our yorkie and lab fresh veggies on a daily basis. Yum for them.
sweetie_pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

My dogs love vegetables. Actually, I have seen my dogs nibbling on green leaves or grass in the backyard. Dogs are driven by instinct to seek out greens to supplement their diet. Greens are good for the dog's digestive system and overall health. I usually give them Spinach, Broccoli, Celery, Cayenne Peppers, and Carrots.

Spinach is loaded with iron. Broccoli is a good source of vitamin C, folic acid, calcium and fiber. Celery contains phosphorous, sodium, iron, vitamins A, B and C, calcium and potassium. Cayenne peppers have three times the amount of vitamin C as oranges or lemons. Carrots are one of the healthiest vegetables for dogs. Carrots are high in beta carotene. This vegetable also contain several vitamins, including vitamins B, C and D, along with riboflavin, calcium, phosphorous, potassium and iron. Carrots are also great for maintaining healthy eyes.

Note: A NO-NO for onions and garlic. They can be toxic to dogs.
allaboutourdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

For additional information, here are the human foods that are poisonous to dogs:

1. tofu
2. garlic
3. onions
4. sugar
5. macadamia nuts
6. raisins/grapes
7. cocoa/chocolates
6. xylitol

Never give these foods to your dogs for they are considered toxins/poisonous/dangerous. Any more you know? Feel free to add.
allaboutourdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutourdogs View Post
My dogs love vegetables. Actually, I have seen my dogs nibbling on green leaves or grass in the backyard. Dogs are driven by instinct to seek out greens to supplement their diet. Greens are good for the dog's digestive system and overall health. I usually give them Spinach, Broccoli, Celery, Cayenne Peppers, and Carrots.
Cayenne peppers? Your Yorkie eats spicy vegetables with no issues? Really?
Yorkville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Come on how do you think they coped in the wild? I agree with allaboutourdogs comments also like to add mushrooms to that list and potato. A lot of pple feed their dogs processed ham, as a treat, which is far worse because of the sodium content. Mine enjoys vegetables. Especially brocolli, carrot, peas and sweetcorn. Also loves fruit.. orange segment, apple (careful not to give pips), and blackberries, of all things. As for the acid on teeth well that gets rinsed off with the amount of water he drinks and yes i do brush his teeth with a veterinary toothpaste.
Foxes eat cherries and poo out the pips. I dont feed my yorkie cherries before you say something. Just letting you know X
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement