Puppie's diet - Yorkie Forum : Yorkshire Terrier Forums

YorkieForum.com is the premier Yorkshire Terrier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Puppie's diet

hello everyone!
I was wondering what is everyone feeding your puppies? and what kind of treats.......

Mine loves "Cesar" (3 times a day) and once in a blue moon she will eat her dry food, specially when we go out and that is the only choice. I mix Bil-Jac and Royal Canin. She likes it better when I soft it with water

Sometimes I mix the Cesar with cooked chicken and that is her favorite. I just want to make sure that she is getting a balanced diet.

suggestions, ideas, etc.....??? my girl is 5 months and eats three times a day, is that enough??
matilda<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Smile Puppy Food

I feed mine Royal Canin hard food for Yorkie's they have a formula for puppies until 10 months then switch to adults formula which is specifically for the breed. Since Yorkie's are known for having bad teeth I do not give her any food from the table , and keep her busy with chew toys and chew treat that provide good cleaning. Consciously I never fed her any soft food and I give her fresh cleaned carrots and other crunchy things so she keeps her teeth for a long time. I know how fussy they can be so everyone of them is individual. Royal Canin has been good for her she ate 3 times a day 3/4 of a cup now 1 cup and of course her performance treats she loves liver bits and the berry , carrot and apple treats they have available and even being careful she is a heavy little girl.

It seems you stumbled on what your baby likes and if shes found health and good by the Vet then you had found your recipe for her.
Have a lovely day

Last edited by MommaMia; 09-11-2011 at 04:52 PM.
MommaMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default what I feed my baby

Hi, everyone,

My Roxy is 5 months and I searched and searched for info on feeding the proper diet and serving sizes and I found a site where its specifically for yorkies. I think it might help for a lot of us on how to take care of our babies.
Teacup Yorkie Puppies For Sale Tea Cup Yorkshire Terriers Mini Yorkies Breeder on this site you will find on the left side all the things you need to know from feeding, grooming, teeth cleaning and other important things we need to know for our yorkies.

Well with that said, I feed my Roxy three times a day and I feed her half of 1/4 of a cup of dry food by eukanuba puppy chiot is 502 calories in a cup, so half a fourth cup is around 50 calories and plus I mix in with cesar canine cuisine wet food, and the cuisines are only 80 calories; I give her half so it's 40 calories in total a day she consumes 270 calories. They say for a yorkie they need to eat 250 calories a day for a puppy and as they get older the servings change. I also give her cesar treats that only have 7 calories and I only give 1 a day. With her being so active she burns most of those calories.
I'm a beginner so if you think differently dont be afraid to share.
FoxyRoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

I feed our boys twice a day of Blue Buffalo. I heard wet or soft food is horrible for their teeth, so i stopped feeding them that. As for treats, i give them the pupperoni stick or the pedigree treats. to clean their teeth, i give them a greenie every now and then.
akrogh9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default New Puppy

Hello,
I am a new member to the forum and my husband and I just adopted a 4 month old Biewer Yorkie just this past Wednesday. He is a little guy who weighs 3 lbs 11 ounces. We have been having trouble getting him to eat. His breeder had him on IAMS puppy fool for small breeds. He had his first vet check up on Thursday and after checking his stool, the vet said that he has Giardia and gave us a prescription to give him for 3 days. He will be checked again after we finish the meds. I am so worried about him not eating good. He just seems to take a couple of very small bites and then walks away. I have tried adding a little low sodium chicken broth and all he does is lap up the broth. I tried adding a little bit of wet prescription food the vet gave me to it and he still just takes a few small nips and he is done. I made the mistake of adding a few pieces of fresh cooked chicken to his dish. All he did was eat the chicken and left his kibble. He is still adjusting slowly to his new home and I think that may be part of the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are just so in love with our little boy Cody and we want to make sure that he gets all the nutrients he needs. We are also giving him NutraCal supplements. Thank you and nice to meet you all.
mcontardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am at a loss as to what to feed my new puppy when I bring him home in July. I refuse to feed Royal Canin, one of the main ingredients is corn gluten meal, which as carnivores they can digest. It also doesn't help that it makes their poop smell funny. I like Evo but the bits are to big for a tiny puppy. So ya I think I am going to be cooking for my little guy.
flitabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

The food has been decided!!! Cookie will be eating Nature's Logic! The size is right for him to chew and it is truly 100% Natural. Right down to no syntetic vitamins and minerals. No corn, wheat, soy, tapioca, peas or potatoes. No gluten or salt and so far my shepherd is in love! After weeks of searching I found a food that I can feed to my big dog and my itty bitty puppy! How cool is that!
flitabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to octobersongs

I personally feel that all dogs should eat 4 or 5 star foods. So, the Iams, pedigrees, and even royal canines are pretty bad foods to be feeding. If you're interested in knowing what quality your dogs food is, you can check out dogfoodanalysis.com...it can also give you some alternatives to what you could feed instead if you aren't currently feeding a high quality food.

You can also go to dogfoodadvisor.com and see the foods by their rating (1 star-5 star) These foods are better nutritionally and can improve all kinds of issues. Before I learned about the importance of foods, I was feeding my cat purina. He threw up all the time...after much research, I switched him to a grain free high quality food (blue buffalo indoor for cats) and he no longer vomits. High quality foods can also help with food allergies, amongst other things.

I know money can be an issue and high quality foods can be expensive so maybe atleast a 3 star food?? Some great brands I've researched and even tried are orijen, innova, wellness puppy, wellness, taste of the wild, blue buffalo (what i'm feeding my puppy), and ziwipeak (for raw feeders)..etc, etc...There are many great dog foods out there to choose from.

Last edited by octobersongs; 12-08-2012 at 10:17 PM.
octobersongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobersongs View Post
I personally feel that all dogs should eat 4 or 5 star foods. So, the Iams, pedigrees, and even royal canines are pretty bad foods to be feeding. If you're interested in knowing what quality your dogs food is, you can check out dogfoodanalysis.com...it can also give you some alternatives to what you could feed instead if you aren't currently feeding a high quality food.

You can also go to dogfoodadvisor.com and see the foods by their rating (1 star-5 star) These foods are better nutritionally and can improve all kinds of issues. Before I learned about the importance of foods, I was feeding my cat purina. He threw up all the time...after much research, I switched him to a grain free high quality food (blue buffalo indoor for cats) and he no longer vomits. High quality foods can also help with food allergies, amongst other things.

I know money can be an issue and high quality foods can be expensive so maybe atleast a 3 star food?? Some great brands I've researched and even tried are orijen, innova, wellness puppy, wellness, taste of the wild, blue buffalo (what i'm feeding my puppy), and ziwipeak (for raw feeders)..etc, etc...There are many great dog foods out there to choose from.
I have to agree with this post. I feel all dogs should be eating 4, 5, or 6 star foods. Check out this site and find one or two you like and contact the company for samples.

I have 2 dogs (a beagle mix and a great dane). My daughter and I are getting a yorkie here in a month or two. I currently feed my dogs Taste of the Wild (High Prairie bison and venison). It is a 5 or 6 star food and I only pay $44.99 for a 30 pound bag. This is the food I hope to feed to my yorkie as well. Honestly if the pieces are too large (which I don't think they will be), I will just break them up in a bag with a hammer.

Good luck and remember that the cost of good food pays off at the vet visits!
strssdmom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement