need advice, help, anything, please! - Yorkie Forum : Yorkshire Terrier Forums

YorkieForum.com is the premier Yorkshire Terrier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation need advice, help, anything, please!

Wow, where to start. I guess the beginning is always best so here goes.

I work in in a kennel of a pet store. I know, I know, boo hiss but we are not a typical pet store. We sell supplies, the only animals we actually carry are puppies. Before anyone screams puppy mill, please understand that that is not what we are about. All of our puppies are from our local shelter who we feed and care for until they are truly adopted, not sold. The adoption fee covers our cost of shots, vet visits, and microchipping. We are fortunate enough to do enough sales in supplies to be able to do this.

Here is the pickle. Two days ago a woman dropped off a VERY small yorkie puppy. He was checked by our vet and was told he is 10-11 weeks old based on his teeth. He received a clean bill of heath and we were told that while he is small...he is not underweight but proportionate to his size. He weighs in at a whopping 15 oz. Needless to say I am more than concerned. The woman claimed he's a teacup, but everything I have been told in the past is that there is no such thing. He is just under 6 inches in length and 4 inches high at the shoulders.

Something told me last night while at work to take the puppy home with me (which we are encouraged to do if we feel the puppy would not do well on its own at night in the kennel.)

Last night he crashed. he started refusing food, even the boiled chicken I cooked for him and chopped finely. He wont touch canned or kibble (we feed nutri-source grain free if you were wondering) after about an hour he started to get up and just fell over and acted as if he could not lift his head. Thinking is was low sugar, I gave him a small bead of nutristat gel on the roof of his mouth and syringed fluids. it took 2 or three times of doing this but he came out of it.

today he has been up and about but still refuses food of all kind (and is still here at home with me btw) Little guy has not left my sight lol.

I went to the owner with this information. we have made the choice NOT to allow this puppy to go out for adoption as he needs an EXTENSIVE amount of care and we fear he would not do well with someone who has no experience in this sort of ordeal.

Here is where I really need some advice. is there ANYTHING I can do to get this puppy to eat again on his own. We have had other puppies do this in the past but all have been much larger and I worry that due to his size this is much more serious. I have heard that yorkies can be picky eaters. does anyone have any tips? open to any and all help with this matter as I have become quite attached.
puppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default need advice, help, anything, please!

Does he have Parvo? My puppy wouldn't eat or drink anything and vomited clear vomit for a couple hours. He couldn't walk and only got up to vomit. Have your vet do a test for parvo. Eating isn't huge for a yorkie, as long as he is getting fluids into him for now that's all that matters.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
DogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement