Getting a new Yorkie. Advice? - Yorkie Forum : Yorkshire Terrier Forums

YorkieForum.com is the premier Yorkshire Terrier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Getting a new Yorkie. Advice?

Aright, so we are about to get a yorkie. My family had one a while ago when I was a child but I just want to refresh my knowledge.
I have been reading about them a lot and I know that you should always use a harness for them. I was wondering if there was a specific harness that is good for them. We used a step-in nylon harness for our last yorkie.

Also, I heard that some people use cat break-away collars to hold the dog's ID tags. Is this a good idea? We used normal fabric collar to hold our last dog's ID tags.

And, I have been reading that the best brush for them is a pin brush without heads on the pins. Which brush do you use for your Yorkie?

Thank you for your help!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Yorkielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

i use a buddy belt harness. i have went through many harnesses and this one is the best so far, they are about $50 but are leather and will last. they step right in it, and there is no adjusting, just several holes for the belt buckle. i can't comment on the i.d tags as i don't keep a collar on my dogs 24 /7. i have micro chipped them though, so it is a very good idea to do this also. i had a break away cat collar for my yorkie years ago , so they would not choke if caught on the fence or something. i believe i used a pin brush with tips on the end when kept the hair long. i use a natural bristle brush now as my yorkie has short hair now.
cherryblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have 2 yorkies and I found the Yuppie Puppy anti pull mesh harness for them to use. It is really easy to put on and it fits very well. My little girl is small but at the size she is between xs and small so a regular harness she was able to slip out of. This one adjust to fit and the hook is at the end of it after tightening to fit. ( I don't know how to explain) I love them and actually just ordered a bunch more so that I have in house and can wash and for the future.

When they were puppies I used the cat collars on them. Now I have a small regular collar on them and it works. I also have them microchipped.
Yorkiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement