Puppy biting and gnawing on things - Yorkie Forum : Yorkshire Terrier Forums

YorkieForum.com is the premier Yorkshire Terrier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy biting and gnawing on things

Trying to train our new Yorkie how NOT to gnaw on our furniture. What is the best way to do this and will I ever be able to leave her in the house alone and feel confident that she won't rip everything to shreds? She is only 4 months now and we have had her about 10weeks now. She has her ups and downs and I find new things here and there that have been shredded and chewed I guess ata time when I am not watching her as well as I should. When we are out she is in a large pen in our living room, same is true when we can't watch her closely. Until a time we are confident enough to trust her. Please help any advice is welcome.
Zoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

A lot of my baseboard corners are chewed up, as well as some of my shoes. She grew out of it before I got a chance to try this advice, but I've heard sprinkling a little bit of pepper or rubbing a jalapeņo on problem areas work. Im not sure if it's sound advice or if its what experts would advise, but it seemed to work for my friend! Oh also make sure to give them lots of chew toys and positive reinforcement when they play with them vs your furniture. Hope this helps!
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Have you tried giving her bully sticks? Or some call it pizzles? They stink but dogs absolutely love them!! Whenever she tried to bite, give her the stick and she'll be able to occupy herself. Also I do spray bitter apple in areas I don't want her to chew on (dried fast so you don't have to worry about it), it's a chew deterrent and usually available at most pet shops so you can give that a go. Hang in there...teething doesn't last forever (teething starts around your puppies age and lasts till about 6-7 months)!

--> I've also seen another advice about trying clear men's underarm deodorant and putting it on the furniture to stop her from eating it up but I haven't tried it myself since the bully sticks have been working wonderfully. Just wanted to give you some heads up in case my above advice doesn't work for your fur baby. Good luck!!<--
Sapphiress is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2016, 03:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

I recently came across a blog post that has a chapter on puppy biting.
https://www.dogids.com/blog/puppy-tr...ps-and-advice/

I think it's worth a look for anyone with a new puppy.
Cheers~
Suzie Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement